Total Pageviews

My photo
The most annoying phrase I hear over and over is: "Social Media is changing everything, we've got to get involved." While it may be true that social media is changing things, it seems to be unclear exactly how and what it's changing. This is an observational blog, documenting the cultural and communicational shift of millennials (15-30 year-olds) to social networks and mobile devices.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Selective Public Anonymity


“I don’t use AIM [.] Who does that still [laughter] you do, don’t you? Awe [.] you’re so old!”

For the record I am 23, and apparently that is old to a 17 year old. I'm 23 and outdated, what does that say about kids and technology today? 


If you spend too much time with a high schooler you’ll begin to think like them--it’s a pretty terrifying thought, huh? That is exactly what I’ve been doing. I have infiltrated a group of high schoolers and discovered I may be older than I thought: I actually use a telephone and it’s original purpose...as a tele-phone. When I probed my new friend about her preferred method of communication and offered my AIM screen name she laughed in my face. 

 “I like Skype better, it’s simple and if I don’t want to talk I don’t have to [..] or I can  just call=
   =Video chat is really weird. I mean [..] I will do that with my friends but not just anyone.”

Let me de-code that: “I will video chat with my real friends, but not someone I met online (or satellite friend).”

When I asked if she is uncomfortable meeting new people she said no, however she did make a distinction between meeting new people while she is “out”  and while she is “online.” This is a reoccurring theme: There is a clear line between online reality and “real life,” however just about every form of online communication is public. The young people I have interviewed are unaware that conversations can be saved or recorded. There is a sense of selective public anonymity that younger people feel entitled to: They want their ideas to be heard and revered but they still want to “keep some things private.” 

How is “selective public anonymity” possible and not a complete contradiction? ...Trust me I’m baffled about this because I have heard “manage your Facebook” for years. It seems that younger peoples are under the misconception that the things they post, i.e. raving statuses, foul language, political rage, etc., are not trackable and magically disappear. Perhaps they haven’t read the fine print in their Facebook terms and conditions.  It just seems like they go blazing forward without pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment