Total Pageviews

My photo
The most annoying phrase I hear over and over is: "Social Media is changing everything, we've got to get involved." While it may be true that social media is changing things, it seems to be unclear exactly how and what it's changing. This is an observational blog, documenting the cultural and communicational shift of millennials (15-30 year-olds) to social networks and mobile devices.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan, 2011


**This is less a post about observations and more a call to attention. 

Friday, March 11, 2011 at 2:46PM (10:46PM in Seattle) Japan was rocked by an 8.9 magnitude earthquake (According to Canadian Press a 9.0 magnitude). A massive tsunami followed; a tsunami that washed nearly 10,000 people out to sea (Hawaiian News CNN). In the hours following people scrambled to make calls, to check if family members were accounted for. Phone lines were split and reporters urged us, those not involved in the earthquake, to take to social media for help. 


My week was filled with counter arguments, "Facebook is just a way to sell your information," I would listen and nod accordingly. Keeping to myself that there are ways to change Privacy Settings, or simply...don't post anything you don't want seen...but that's neither here nor there. I kept my feelings about the good social media can do to myself, but this outpouring of hope is too much for me to keep quiet. All joking and fun aside, this particular use of social media is beyond what it's creators intended and perhaps the best resource humans have created for each other:  In an instant I knew friends and (extremely extended) family members were alright, just by checking their newsfeed. I can check in with anyone overseas. I am connected to those I don't see, because I can't see


I truly hope everyone lost is found. I'm so terribly sorry for all those devastated by the earthquake in Japan and the subsequent tsunami, and nuclear meltdown drama.

Here are some quick links that may help: Google People Finder, Salvation Army, Red Cross, Save The Children (Emergency Relief) or search for small charities with direct focus. As always support our troops in Japan; I know Marines are helping find people and I'm sure the Navy isn't sitting on base either. I have no money to give but I can post links, share ideas and give hope. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I remember looking at the cover of time magazine last week and nearly crying myself! By the way, speaking of social-networking lack of understanding - tell me about it. I have actually been begging for a Facebook account for quite some time, because I am part of said generation and it seems like the norm. However, I started to really think about it and I was wondering what the proper, I don't know, etiquette I guess you could say, for online social networking. I sound like such a moron for my age lol, but honestly I do care a lot about what others think and I'm very cautious about the Internet...

    ReplyDelete